In 2018, Datatel celebrated twenty years in business, and in that time it had established itself as a major industry contributor in many ways, not least of which is the number and quality of electrical tradespersons who owe their start in business to the company.
From the outset, Datatel has been a major employer of apprentices in the industry, many of whom have gone on to senior positions, both within the company and elsewhere. Take for instance Paul Donovan, the first ever trainee at Datatel, who is now the company’s Operations Manager – wireless, and sits on the board of the industry association BICSI.
Other successful apprentices include Cameron Rolfe, the 2016 BICSI Cabling Skills Grand Final winner, and Alexander Baker, Daniel Loreta and Michael Clavey, all NECA Excellence & Apprentice Award winners for 2016.
For Datatel, the hiring and nurturing of apprentices is not just an altruistic exercise. The training centre at Datatel is where the future of the company is assured, Wayne and Paul believing strongly that the best way to ensure the company is able to offer clients experienced and highly trained technicians on projects is to grow them in-house. Datatel’s growth has been built on developing relationships with key clients, whilst developing proprietary IT systems to provide real-time feedback on job progress, profitability and cashflow. These have led to increased operational efficiency, making the company an attractive partner for Tier 1 NBN contractors such as Daly International, Fulton Hogan, Kordia and WBHO, all whom appreciate the value of working with an agile and innovative business like Datatel.
- 2016 – NECA Excellence & Apprentice Awards
- 2016 – BICSI Cabling Skills Challenge Grand Final Winner – Cameron Rolfe
- 2016 – BICSI ICT Infrastructure Design Award – Paul Donovan for Wesfarmers Court, Curtin University Project.
- 2013 – Winner of the Medium Commercial NECA Excellence Award for the University of WA QEII Medical Centre M-Block Refurbishment Project.
- 2013 – Winner of the Voice/Data NECA Excellence Award for the Mount Lawley Primary School Fire Restoration Project
- 2011 – Winner of the Electrical Group Training Host Employer of the Year.
- Commercial Large Project Finalist (1st Year Apprentice Category) – Alexander Baker
- Commercial / Domestic Apprentice Finalist (4th Year Apprentice Category) – Daniel Loreta
- Communications Apprentice Category Finalist (4th Year Apprentice Category) – Michael Clavey